Fox Glacier Guiding
Enjoy a breathtaking Fox Glacier heli hike with New Zealand’s most experienced glacier guiding company.
Fox Glacier is New Zealand’s largest commercially guided glacier, situated on the West Coast of the South Island and part of the Westland National Park, a World Heritage Area.
Fox Glacier Guiding’s friendly and professional guides will take you on a trip of a life time. They will educate you, entertain you and guide you into the stunning Fox Glacier.
Fox Glacier Heli Hike Activity Options
Fox Glacier Guiding offer heli hike tours and ice adventures to suit all fitness levels.
Flying Fox – Fox Glacier Heli Hike
- Combine the thrill of 2 helicopter flights, with the opportunity to explore a remote and pristine part of the glacier on foot, with your knowledgeable guide
- Glacial forces are greatest in this area and often create spectacular ice caves, arches and tunnels, brilliantly blue in colour
- Duration: 4 hours, minimum age 9 years
- Reporting Time: 8.50 am and 11.50 am (all year), 2.50 pm (on demand in summer)
- To assure your safety, all guides are trained through the internationally recognised New Zealand Mountain Guides Association. Fox Glacier Guiding pride themselves in offering exceptional customer service, the highest level of safety management and the best value for money trips.
- All trips depart from the Fox Glacier Guiding base on State Highway 6 in Fox Glacier.
- Fox Glacier is accessible year round. Snow falls up the top of the glacier in an area known as the Neve all year round, and it is this snow that feeds the river of ice, otherwise known as the glacier.
- The Fox Glacier Guiding building also includes the Fox Glacier Guiding Gift Shop. The building is on State Highway 6 in Fox Glacier township. The shop offers an excellent selection of interesting items to choose from.
- The buses used to transport customers to Fox Glacier are a nice link to the past. Some are preserved and restored Bedfords–a reminder of the original Newman’s coaches which took visitors to the glacier in 1922.
What is the difference between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier?
- Fox Glacier township is the more ‘laid back’ of the twin Glacier Country townships
- Fox Glacier is approximately 3 km longer than Franz Josef
- As the less crowded of the two glaciers, Fox Glacier offers people a more remote experience
- If cloud allows helihikers enjoy views of Mt Cook & Mt Tasman not seen on Franz Josef
- Fox Glacier – there is walking access on the South side of the Fox Glacier River to allow for views of the glacier from a distance. Franz Josef – there is a walk straight along the river valley floor for views of the glacier.
What should we wear and bring on our glacier trip?
- 3 or 4 upper layers such as a light t-shirt (or similar) next to the skin, then a fleecy or heavy wool garment, topped off with a wind-breaker
- Do not wear jeans as they become very heavy, cold and uncomfortable to wear when wet
- Track pants or long cotton pants are best and shorts are suitable during summer months
- Fox Glacier Guides supply the footwear, which includes socks, boots and crampons, woolen mittens and hats and waterproof raincoat and over trousers for all trips
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- A day pack, a drink and snacks or lunch
State Highway 6, Fox Glacier, New Zealand.
Book a Fox Glacier Heli Hike
You can book a Fox Glacier walk separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
These popular New Zealand holiday packages include a Fox Glacier heli hike:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Fox Glacier activities.
* All pricing is in New Zealand Dollars
* Children: 5-16 years, minimum age of 9 years old applies to the Fly Fox: Heli Hike
* Select item(s) above and submit with your other New Zealand accommodation, activity and transport needs. A travel consultant will contact you in less than 12 hours with availability and best available price. Upon your approval and payment you will then receive confirmation.