Fox Glacier Guiding Ice Climbing
Enjoy breathtaking ice climbing on the world famous Fox Glacier with New Zealand’s most experienced glacier guiding company.
Fox Glacier is New Zealand’s largest commercially guided glacier, situated in Glacier Country, on the West Coast of the South Island, only 21 kms south of Franz Josef.
Fox Glacier Guiding’s friendly and professional guides will take you on a trip of a life time. They will educate you, entertain you and guide you on the stunning Fox Glacier.
Fox Glacier Guiding Activity Options
Fox it Up Heli – Heli-Ice Climbing
- An extension of the standard ice climbing day and offers you the added thrill of 2 helicopter flights as well as the opportunity to climb amongst terrain not easily accessed by foot
- Duration 8 hours
- Reporting Time: 8 am (all year)
Browne Fox – Chancellor Dome Heli-Trek
- Unforgettable alpine experience for first time mountaineers
- Includes return helicopter flights and an exciting climb of Chancellor Dome, where you will enjoy spectacular views of New Zealand’s highest peaks
- Duration 8-9 hours
- Reporting Time: 7.45 am (all year)
Browne Fox – Chancellor Overnight Heli-Trek
- This overnight option is an extension of the Chancellor Dome Heli-Trek and also allows you to enjoy the sunset over the Tasman Sea whilst relaxing over dinner in historic Chancellor Hut
- After staying overnight, walk down to explore a remote section of the Fox Glacier, before flying back to the Fox township
- Duration 2 Days
- Reporting Time: 7.45 am (all year)
- To assure your safety, all guides are trained through the internationally recognised New Zealand Mountain Guides Association. Fox Glacier Guiding pride themselves in offering exceptional customer service, the highest level of safety management and the best value for money trips.
- All trips depart from the Fox Glacier Guiding base on State Highway 6 in Fox Glacier.
- Fox Glacier is there all year round as snow falls up the top of the glacier in an area known as the Neve all year round and it is this snow that feeds the river of ice, otherwise known as the glacier.
- The Fox Glacier Guiding building also includes the Fox Glacier Guiding Gift Shop. The building is on State Highway 6 in Fox Glacier township. The shop offers an excellent selection of interesting items to choose from.
- The buses used to transport customers to Fox Glacier are a nice link to the past. Some are preserved and restored Bedfords, and are a reminder of the original Newman’s coaches which took visitors to the glacier in 1922.
What is the difference between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier?
- Fox Glacier township is the more ‘laid back’ of the twin Glacier Country townships
- Fox Glacier is approximately 3 km longer than Franz Josef
- As the less crowded of the two glaciers, Fox Glacier offers people a more remote experience
- If cloud allows helihikers enjoy views of Mt Cook & Mt Tasman not seen on Franz Josef
- Fox Glacier – there is walking access on the South side of the Fox Glacier River to allow for views of the glacier from a distance. Franz Josef – there is a walk straight along the river valley floor for views of the glacier.
What should we wear and bring on our glacier trip?
Upon booking, you will receive an equipment list. Fox Glacier Guiding provides all technical gear.
Fox Glacier Guiding Location
State Highway 6, Fox Glacier, New Zealand.
Book a Heli Hike or Ice Climbing Excursion with Fox Glacier Guiding
You can book Fox Glacier experiences separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
Popular holiday packages with a visit to the West Coast include:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Fox Glacier activities.