Wilsons Abel Tasman National Park | Multi Day Walks (Guided or Independent)
Walks along the Abel Tasman Coast Track offer freedom and flexibility in this gentle paradise, where lush native forests give way to golden sands and azure water. Explore Abel Tasman National Park with Wilsons Abel Tasman on independent or guided multi-day hikes.
The highest number of sunshine hours in New Zealand with sea breezes in summer and calm, crisp days in winter makes walking a pleasure, year-round.
You can choose to walk independently, or explore the Abel Tasman with one of the, knowledgeable, friendly, guides who will have many stories to tell of the fascinating cultural and natural history of Abel Tasman National Park.
A min of 2 nights/3 days is recommended to experience the full length of the spectacular coast from Kaiteriteri to Totaranui, staying 1 night in each of the Wilson’s 2 Beachfront Eco Lodges.
Stay 2 nights at each Lodge is the most relaxing way to experience everything the Park has to offer. Itineraries are flexible and can be designed to suit your interests, abilities and schedules.
3 Day, 2 Night Guided Walk
- Ideal for people short on time, wanting to walk the length of the 38 km Abel Tasman Coast Track. Stay 1 night at Meadowbank Homestead and the other at Torrent Bay Lodge.
- The itinerary is the same as days 1, 3 and 5 of the 5 Day/4 night trip (below), noting that the trip may be reversed on some departures.
Departures: year round, Monday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday (Southbound), Wednesday (Northbound).
5 Day, 4 Night Guided Walk on the Abel Tasman Coast Track
Take five days to be as active or relaxed as you wish with three days walking the 38 km Coast Track and 2 extra days at each of your Beachfront Lodges – relax or explore parts of the park most visitors don’t get to see.
Day One: Nelson/Motueka to Awaroa via Totaranui
- Depart from Wilsons Abel Tasman Office, Motueka or accommodation pickups, Nelson 7.30am, Motueka 8.30am
- Bus to Kaiteriteri and cruise the National Park coastline from Kaiteriteri to Totaranui (2 hours)
- Relax at Totaranui, or take a walk through rainforest on the Pukatea Loop (1.5 hours)
- Walk south approximately 2 hours from Totaranui to the fascinating Awaroa estuary
- Spend the night on the beachfront at Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa
- Includes morning and afternoon tea, lunch and dinner
Day 2: Explore Awaroa
- Let your guide design your day to as active or relaxed as you wish, options include:
- Explore the largest tidal estuary in the Park on foot or by kayak (tides permitting)
- Visit early European and pre-European historical sites
- Unwind on the beach
- Relax and enjoy the comforts of Meadowbank Homestead – Awaroa
- Includes breakfast morning and afternoon tea, lunch and dinner
Day 3: Awaroa to Torrent Bay
- Depart Awaroa to walk over the Tonga Saddle to Onetahuti
- Relax on the beach flanked by impressive granite headlands & visit Tonga Quarry
- Midday, stop for lunch at Bark Bay and take time out to relax, explore or swim
- In the afternoon, enjoy the views as you walk through native forest, cross the swing bridge at Falls River and continue on to Torrent Bay Lodge on the beachfront
- Walking time 6-7 hours 17 kms, includes breakfast, morning and afternoon tea, lunch & dinner
Day 4: Explore Torrent Bay
- Let your guide plan an adventurous or relaxing day to suit you, options include:
- Walk through breathtaking first generation forest, up to Falls River
- Canoe in the estuary and visit the peaceful grotto of Cleopatra’s Pool
- Walk to the protected beaches of Anchorage and Te Pukatea and visit historic Maori sites
- Includes breakfast, morning and afternoon tea, lunch & dinner
Day 5: Torrent Bay to Motueka/Nelson
- Well graded section of Abel Tasman coast track, Torrent Bay to Marahau 4 hours 13 kms
- Stop for lunch at any one of the bays, then walk the last leg to Marahau
- Your coach meets you to return to Motueka (4.30pm) or Nelson (5.30pm)
- Includes breakfast, morning and afternoon tea and lunch
Departures: year round, departing every Tuesday and Friday from November through to March & every Tuesday from April through to October.
Other Information on the Abel Tasman Coast Track
- Day packs and safe excess luggage and car storage available
- The direction of the Guided Walk may be reversed on some departures
- Keep in mind walking is optional, you are welcome to travel on scheduled ferry services
- If start/finish times do not suit your itinerary, contact us to make alternative arrangements
- Shoulder Season Prices available for the following periods:
- 1 – 31 October: come and witness the lush new growth of Spring time
- 20 – 31 January: for travellers not committed to traditional holiday times
- 1 – 30 April: when crisp, clear days provide the best light for photographs
- All other dates outside of these periods are standard pricing
Wilsons Abel Tasman Head Office, High Street, Motueka, New Zealand.
Book a Multi-Day Hike on the Abel Tasman Coast Track
You can book a hike on the Abel Tasman Coast Track separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
These popular New Zealand holiday packages include multi-day Abel Tasman hikes:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Abel Tasman activities.
For more information about hiking around New Zealand, check out our Comprehensive List of New Zealand’s Greatest Hikes.