Whale Watch Kaikoura
Whale Watch Kaikoura is New Zealand’s only marine-based whale watching company offering visitors an exciting up-close encounter with the Giant Sperm Whale at all times of the year.
The 95% success rate means they guarantee an 80% refund if your tour does not see a whale. Whale Watch tours operate daily and are extremely popular so we advise to book early.
Whale Watch Tour Kaikoura
- Every Whale Watch tour is a unique experience and the sightings vary.
- Giant Sperm Whales are the stars of the show and year-round residents. A typical Whale Watch tour may encounter New Zealand Fur Seals, pods of Dusky Dolphins and the endangered Wandering Albatross.
- Depending on the season you may also see migrating Humpback Whales, Pilot Whales, Blue Whales and Southern Right Whales.
- Kaikoura often hosts the world’s largest dolphin – the Orca – and is home to the world’s smallest and rarest – the Hector’s dolphin. Kaikoura also attracts the largest concentration of seabirds on mainland New Zealand including 13 species of Albatross, 14 varieties of Petrels & 7 types of Shearwater.
Other Information on Whale Watch Kaikoura
- The on-board plasma screens display a virtual animated whale watching tour while the tour is actually taking place! You will experience your own tour through the eye of the albatross in real-time. As your vessel approaches the Kaikoura Canyon the ocean will be ‘removed’ to show the sheer scale of the abyss that plunges kilometres beneath you.
- Whale Watch have also created a unique, award-winning series of animation sequences designed to reveal Kaikoura’s hidden wildlife wonders. Discover how a Sperm Whale survives in the dark and freezing depths of the Kaikoura Canyon or why the green-eyed Plunket Shark is easy prey for a Giant Squid.
- Whale Watch tours are always dependent on sea conditions. Whale Watch staff constantly monitor the weather and respond professionally to any changes. This may mean a tour is cancelled or safety restrictions placed on children or passengers with medical problems. Passenger comfort and safety is always our priority.
- If you are susceptible to motion or seasickness Whale Watch offer Aqua Straps for hire or purchase. Whale Watch also sell a range of natural active motion-sickness tablets.
- Designed for whale watching, the modern catamarans are equipped with engines that minimise underwater noise and toilets that never pollute the sea
- The main passenger cabin is enclosed and large outside decks offer great viewing and photo opportunities
- Spacious air-conditioned interiors are fitted with comfortable seating while large plasma screens display award-winning marine wildlife animations
- Passenger numbers for each tour are kept well below the vessel carrying capacity to ensure your tour experience remains a personal one
- Flukes Cafe – take time to relax and soak up the incredible view from the cafe. Open for breakfast and lunch 7 days
- A unique selection of clothing, books, posters, postcards, jewellery and souvenirs are available at the gift shop
- Daily tour check in times: 7.15 am, 10.00 am and 12.45 pm, a further tour is scheduled at 3.30 pm during summer months (Nov-March)
- The actual time on the water is up to 2.5 hours
- Including check-in time and transfer by bus, you should allow 3.5 hours in total
Whale Watch is located in the town of Kaikoura – a scenic two and a half-hour drive north from Christchurch in New Zealand’s South Island. Kaikoura is a special place of lush pastures and towering, snow covered peaks that fall to the sea. This rare magic continues just offshore where a deep undersea canyon combines with unusual sea currents to attract an extraordinary abundance of marine life, the most famous being the Sperm Whale.
Book the Whale Watch Kaikoura Cruise
You can book the Whale Watch Kaikoura tour separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
The following New Zealand holiday package includes the Whale Watch Kaikoura Cruise:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Kaikoura activities.