Taupo’s Floatplane offer a range of scenic tours over New Zealand’s World Heritage Tongariro National Park, Volcanic Plateau, Lake Taupo and White Island.
While experiencing the exhilarating sensation of taking off from and landing on water, enjoy vistas so breathtaking they will never be forgotten.
A Taste of Taupo
- Take off from Taupo Bay, turning over Acacia Bay to the headwaters of the Waikato River. Fly over the bubbling mud pools and steam vents of “Craters of the Moon” thermal area, then over the Borefields of the Wairakei Power station, followed by a circuit of the Huka Falls, over Taupo to land on the lakefront (10 minutes approx).
A Peek at the Lake
- Take off from Taupo Bay, past Acacia Bay to Rangatira Point, viewing the crystal clear waters of Whakaipo Bay. Climb up through Mapara Valley, view red scoria quarries, then join the Taste of Taupo Trail (20 mins approx).
Western Bay Explorer
- This stunning trip views Taupo, Acacia Bay, Rangatira Point, Kinloch and the uninhabited Western Bays. You will see a naturally formed harbour before sweeping over farmland to the Craters of the Moon. The trip concludes with the Taste of Taupo (30 minutes approx).
Mt Ruapehu Vista
- Departing from Taupo Bay, you head south to over fly Turangi, Mount Pihanga, Lake Rotoaira, the Blue and Emerald Lakes and the Tama Lakes to the summit of Mount Ruapehu. A circuit of the summit allows you to view the Crater Lake and the ski fields on the slopes of Mount Ruapehu. Continuing the journey, now northward, then travel to Mount Ngauruhoe to view the centre of this classic volcano. Fly over Mount Tongariro to view the Red Crater, the Blue Lake and old lava flows before descending over Lake Taupo (60 minutes approx).
- Take off from Taupo Bay, past Acacia Bay, Rangatira Point, viewing the crystal clear waters of Whakaipo Bay. Turning North fly past the Craters of the Moon, over farmland and forests, through hills that were once active volcanoes. Descend into the Hidden Valley of Orakei Korako. Landing on the Waikato River and tie up to a floating jetty. A walk through this geothermal paradise takes approximately one hour. On the return flight view the Huka Falls and town before landing on the lakefront. Allow 2 Hours 15 min (Flight time 30 minutes approx).
On demand, weather and minimum numbers permitting
Flights range from 10 minutes – 2 hours
- Taupo’s Floatplane’s aircraft and pilots are fully licensed by CAA under part 135.
- All flights are subject to weather permitting
- Weight restrictions may apply
- Flight times are approximate and may vary
Taupo Boat Harbour, Ferry Road, Taupo, New Zealand.