Southern Lakes Helicopters Te Anau
Southern Lakes Helicopters is your gateway to the Fiordland World Heritage Park, including Doubtful Sound, Dusky Sound and Milford Sound.
Privately owned, Southern Lakes Helicopters specialises in personal service and aim to leave a lasting impression of professionalism and friendliness. Safety is the highest priority and you can be confident that the pilots are amongst the most skilled and experienced in New Zealand.
Southern Lakes Helicopters Activity Options
Scenic Flights with Southern Lakes Helicopters
Scenic Te Anau
- Experience this short adventure into the Kepler Mountain Range with great views of alpine lakes and mountain tarns, sampling
the grandeur of the Fiordland scenery.
- You will land at a mountain tarn to enjoy the vista and ruggedness of the Main Divide and breathe the crisp pure air of Fiordland. See what lies beyond the Te Anau horizon!
Duration – Approx. 30 minutes. Includes mountain landing.
- Hidden wonders of Fiordland unfold with this taste of the ‘real’ remote mountains. Experience the ever-changing scenery of beech forest, mountain slopes, alpine lakes, waterfalls, and hanging valleys and snow clad mountain tops.
- A high alpine landing is made on Mt Kidd, a remote picturesque area with dramatic views to experience spectacular Fiordland.
Duration: Approx. 40 minutes. Includes mountain landing.
- A flight to Doubtful Sound ‘The Sound of Silence’ will take you into the very heart of Fiordland. Climb over Wilmont Pass into Doubtful Sound and make your first landing at Campbell’s Kingdom, a beautiful hanging valley complete with its own lake and waterfall.
- You will then glimpse Bradshaw Sound as you fly over the main divide of the Southern Alps before your second mountain landing at Mt Kidd.
Duration: Approx. 70 minutes. Includes two mountain landings.
Southern Lakes Explorer
- Departing the Te Anau base, fly over the Iris Burn and Lake Manapouri to your first destination Nor West Lakes, a stunning mountain lake with a view of Lake Manapouri in the background.
- From here you will fly over the Hunter Mountains and Green Lake to a geological marvel, Mt Titiroa, where you will make your second landing.
Duration: Approx. 80 minutes. Includes two mountain landings.
Dusky and Doubtful Sound
- Dusky Sound is the largest and most spectacular of the Fiords. A landing is made high above the sound to view this historic area encompassing 365 islands. When airborne again, head north towards Doubtful Sound. Flying up this fiord you will detour into a unique hanging valley called Campbell’s Kingdom. On the return journey you will make a high alpine landing at beautiful Mt Kidd.
Duration: Approx. 1 hour 45 mins. Includes two mountain landings.
- This scenic flight to Milford Sound will give you breathtaking views of some of the highest and most photographed mountains of Fiordland. Views of Mitre Peak and Milford Sound unfold as you circuit the fiord to follow the Milford Track, flying over the McKinnon Pass before landing at Lake Quill, source of the famous Sutherland Falls.
- Discover the world famous Milford Sound – an excursion with the “X Factor”.
Duration: Approx. 1 hour 45 minutes. Includes two mountain landings.
Doubtful & Milford Sounds
- This is a must for people with little time available during their trip to Fiordland but who want to see the the two most popular destinations.
- During this 2 hour trip you will not only see the beauty of Doubtful Sound and the spectacular Milford Sound but all the amazing scenery in between. Discover some of the unique hidden gems of the Fiordland National Park. This is truly a “must do” before you leave Fiordland!
Duration: 2 hours 15 minutes. Includes three mountain landings.
- Our premier heli-flight experience. This flight takes you on a spectacular journey from sea level to mountain tops, taking in Fiordland’s top three destinations. From Dusky Sound, which is New Zealand’s largest fiord, to Doubtful Sound and iconic Milford Sound including everything in-between. The ultimate Fiordland experience!
Duration: Approx. 3 hours. Includes three mountain landings.
Fiordland Heli Hike
- Begin with a scenic flight into the Kepler Mountain Range. We make a landing at a mountain tarn so you can enjoy the views of the Main Divide. Once airborne again it is a short flight back to Luxmore Hut, the starting point of your hike. There are two hike options:
- Option 1: The well-formed track winds through native beech forest and is all downhill to Brod Bay, onto the shores of Lake Te Anau.
Duration of hike: 2.5-3 hours
- Option 2: Ascend to Luxmore Summit. We highly recommend this option so you can soak up the amazing views before descending onto the shores of Lake Te Anau.
Duration of hike: 5-6 hours.
Both options finish at Brod Bay for the boat cruise back to Te Anau.
Duration: Approx. 3 – 4 hours. Includes one mountain landing.
Gourmet Picnics Available
- Add on a gourmet picnic to any charter of your choice. Ideal for celebrating special occasions, wedding anniversaries, honeymoons and proposals.
Southern Lakes Helicopters Explore Fiordland Packages
Green Lake Heli Hike & Bike (full day tour)
- This fully guided product combines scenic flying, an easy 3 hour hike from beautiful Green Lake to the Borland Road and then mountain biking on a well formed gravel road through native bush.
- When your ride is complete you will be transferred by Wild Rides comfortable 4WD utility vehicle back to Te Anau. This would be a great day out for a family group!
Duration: Full day. Includes two mountain landings and a gourmet packed lunch.
Expedition Fiordland (ex Queenstown)
- Departing Queenstown you will overfly Lake Wakatipu then over Mavora Lakes and Lake Te Anau to arrive at Luxmore Hut on the Kepler Track to start the all downhill hike to Brod Bay.
- After lunch you begin one of the more remote scenic drives in NZ by ‘back road’ with Trips and Tramps to Walter Peak Station where you connect with the Steamship TSS Earnslaw for a 45min leisurely cruise back to Queenstown.
Duration: Full Day departing Queenstown at 8.30 am. Includes three mountain landings, a gourmet packed lunch, snacks & drink.
Explore Hollyford, Big Bay & Doubtful Sound Heli Hike
- This is an action packed day out! Enjoy scenic flight over remote parts of Fiordland encompassing the Hollyford Valley, Big Bay, Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound.
- Then enjoy a guided hike with Trips and Tramps (approx. 3 hours) on the Hollyford Track from Hidden Falls to Lake Alabaster, followed by a gourmet packed lunch.
Duration: Full day. Includes three mountain landings, a gourmet packed lunch, and all snacks and drinks.
Heli Jet Southern Fiordland
- This product combines wonderful scenic flying, a jet boat ride and an optional walk. The jet boat is an exhilarating ride down the untamed Wairaurahiri River which falls 200m to sea level.
- After a fabulous bush BBQ lunch on the coast you will fly to Okaka Lodge on the Humpridge Track where you may choose to walk the short sub alpine Loop Track.
- Make one more landing at the stunning Mt Titiroa before returning to base.
Duration: Full day. Includes four mountain landings.
Other Information on Southern Lakes Helicopters
- Southern Lakes Helicopters focus on service and use the best machinery and pilots.
- Southern Lakes Helicopters has provided high quality helicopter services in the Fiordland region for more than 30 years.
- Based in Te Anau and owned and operated by Sir Richard and Lady Carol Hayes.
LAKEFRONT HELIPAD located opposite the Distinction Hotel on the Te Anau lakefront.
Book a Helicopter Te Anau Flight with Southern Lakes Helicopters
You can book Te Anau helicopter flights separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
These popular New Zealand holiday packages include a Te Anau helicopter flight:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Te Anau activities.
* All pricing is in New Zealand Dollars
* Select item(s) above and submit with your other New Zealand accommodation, activity and transport needs. A travel consultant will contact you in less than 12 hours with availability and best available price. Upon your approval and payment you will then receive confirmation.