About New Plymouth, New Zealand
Discover New Plymouth attractions and activities with New Zealand Travel Organiser.
New Plymouth is located in the Taranaki district of New Zealand and offers something for everyone–sun, sea, sand and snow.
As a popular tourist destination, New Plymouth is well-known for its black sand surfing beaches offering some of the best surfing in the country. In addition, New Plymouth boasts a marine park conservation area. Nearby, Mount Taranaki and Egmont National Park are a mecca for trampers and climbers.
New Plymouth Attractions
- New Plymouth has an artistic side. For example, the city is home to the acclaimed Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, NZ’s only contemporary art museum.
- You can also discover glorious parks and gardens, particularly the dazzling array of rhododendrons and azaleas on display in spring. In addition, many private gardens are open for public viewing year round.
- There are a multitude of great walks and tracks in New Plymouth, from short walks to day or multi day hikes.
- Being right on the coast New Plymouth is well-know for it’s beaches, these black sand beaches are great for surfing, swimming or just relaxing on a hot summers day.
- Taranaki is home to New Zealand’s oil and natural gas production. 100 years ago prospectors dug shafts into the Kaitake Ranges in an attempt to discover gold. Their attempts were futile, and nowadays you can walk through the remains of the Boars Head Mine just south of New Plymouth. Make sure you take a torch!
- For other active options, hire a bike and cycle the town and waterfront, hire a fishing charter for the day, or play a round of golf at one of the several golf courses in the area.
New Zealand Travel Organiser can assist you with your New Plymouth travel plans today! Contact us for more details.