Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours Napier
Explore Napier and Hastings cities and the surrounding areas on a fantastic Napier and Hawkes Bay Sightseeing Tour, or choose a Napier Wine Tour or Napier Wine and Brewery Tour!
The Hawkes Bay region is known as the ‘Gourmet Food and Wine Region of New Zealand.’ This area is New Zealand’s second largest wine growing region and the largest red wine growing region. Home to the world famous ‘Gimblett Gravels.’
Napier is known as the ‘Art Deco’ capital of the world. While Hastings city is famous for its Spanish Mission architecture.
Napier Whirlwind Tour (2.5 hours)
- This tour takes in all the history, from early settlement through to the huge 7.8 earthquake in 1931. View the rebuilding of the city and the rich farm lands from what was recently sea bed!
- On this tour you will visit the historic village of Ahuriri and the famous Mission Estate Winery, the oldest winery in New Zealand.
- Tour through an Art Deco Housing Estate on return to Napier, stopping on request for several photo opportunities.
- A great compact tour, suitable for people spending one night in Napier, who still wish to see the city highlights.
Napier Scenic Tour with Wine Tasting (4.5 hours)
- This Napier tour is designed to create an overview of the city, and allow you to spend more time at all the attractions listed above plus visit locations to take in the beauty and the ‘secret spots’ scenic Napier has to offer!
- Tour a working winery and explore New Zealand’s only Wine Museum set inside past fermentation tanks. Learning the secrets behind producing world class wines. This is followed by a premium wine tasting experience.
- After the tasting is completed, return to Napier through an Art Deco Housing Estate, with many stops along the way with photo opportunities.
*Price includes local pick up, all entrance fees and wine tasting on the day.
Hawkes Bay Scenic Tour (8 hours)
- This hugely popular tour takes in all the ‘Napier Scenic Tour’ as above, plus a large portion of rural Hawkes Bay including Hastings and the greater area.
- Drive through prime wine country, see orchards and crop farming, view sheep, cattle, llama and deer farming. A picture perfect drive through some of the most scenic roads in New Zealand, stopping along the way for photo opportunities.
- View Spanish Mission, Art Deco architecture in Hastings – a town that was also heavily damaged and also rebuilt after the 1931 earthquake.
- Travel through the picturesque village of Havelock North.
- Visit the highest drivable lookout enjoying breathtaking views from Te Mata Peak (399 metres, 360 degree views) overlooking all of Hawkes Bay and beyond.
- Return to Napier via the famous ‘Oak Avenue’ on the outskirts of Hastings.
- Tour a 1930s Art Deco Housing Estate.
- Stop at a boutique chocolate factory/cafe and enjoy lunch (at your cost) in a rural setting.
*Option to have lunch at a winery if preferred. Arrangements to be made at time of booking.
Wine and Sightseeing
Napier City, Art Deco and Winery Tour (3 hours)
- This tour offers the best of both worlds! A city sightseeing tour of the Art Deco Capital of the World that takes you through the history of Napier plus a visit to a top local winery to taste a flight of wines.
- Tour the historic areas of Napier including the famous Art Deco buildings. Look out over Napier from the top of Napier Hill; from here see surviving houses from the disastrous earthquake in 1931.
- Visit Mission Estate Winery or another top boutique winery and sample different varieties of local wine.
- Return to Napier through an Art Deco Housing Estate.
*Price includes wine tasting fees on the day and local pick up.
Behind the Scenes Sensory Wine and Napier Highlights Tour (4 + hours)
- If you are passionate about wines, this is the tour for you. A fantastic tour where you will be given an insight to the appreciation of wine and complete the tour with the history of the 1931 earthquake and Napier’s re-building in Art Deco.
- Arrive at the famous Church Road Winery, then with a glass in hand, you will sample wines directly from the cellars (barrels and tanks) whilst gaining a technical insight into the crafting of Church Road Wines.
- This concludes with a tasting of four wines from Church Road’s McDonald Series and Grand Reserve range where each specially selected wine will be accompanied with a bite-sized food offering, providing an insight into wine and food matching.
- Dine from the seasonal a la carte menu for your lunch break, try a food and wine recommendation.
- The return journey travels through an Art Deco suburb and Napier’s Art Deco C.B.D. buildings before visiting a magnificent city lookout.
* Price includes local pick up, wine tasting, all entrance fees, lunch – shared breads, main course, chef’s choice of shared sides, tea or espresso coffee, glass of wine as per menu match.
Napier’s Ultimate Wine Experience Tour (4 hours +)
- If you have limited time in the area and wish to have an extensive overview of the whole wine picture, then this is the tour for you!
- You will visit 3 very different wineries all producing world class wines.
- At Church Road Winery discover an exciting new element to enhance your wine experience!
- Stroll with glass in hand through the old semi-underground fermentation tanks that are now home to many majestic red wine cellars. Deep inside the cellar you will experience wines at different stages of maturing and have a unique opportunity to taste and ask questions.
- Take a behind the scenes tour of a working winery and see the wine making operation.
- Learn the secrets of the whole process from the vine to your wine tasting, and also included is ‘Wine and Food’ matching.
- While enjoying a practical hands on lesson, learn and gain some insight into how wine is matched with food.
- Taste a variety of South Island and North Island wines, white wines, red wines, dry wines, sweet wines, dessert wines and Port, as your visit the 3 wineries for tastings on this tour.
*Price includes local pick up, all entrance fees, wine tastings and the food matching on the day.
Napier Wine Experience Tour (4 hours +)
- On this tour visit 4 world class local wineries and also take a winery tour with a difference! This experience is unique, selective, informative and entertaining.
- Visit New Zealand’s oldest winery, Mission Estate Winery. Learn the history, admire the building in the context of the history then sample world class wines.
- Explore New Zealand’s only winery museum, explore the old wine fermentation tanks, discover the ‘Cuve’ Room, study the wax figures and learn the exciting history surrounding the winery and the wine industry as a whole.
- Learn about the ‘Gimblett Gravels.’ The ‘Gravels’ combine the French concept of ‘Terroir’ with modern day thinking to define, protect and market wine. Learn about the soils and sample unique high quality wines.
- Finally arrive at the last winery for the day. Here you will not only taste within the cellar area, but take a minute to see the many worldwide accolades proudly displayed within the cellar door area.
*Price includes local pickup, all tastings and entrance fees on the day.
Napier Wine and Beer Tour (4.5 – 5 hours)
- Visit 3 world class local wineries and an ale house.
- Visit Mission Estate Winery, New Zealand’s oldest winery.
- Explore New Zealand’s only winery museum, set inside old wine fermentation vats, discover the ‘Cuve’ Room, study the wax figures and learn the exciting and unique history surrounding this winery.
- Have your photo taken beside imported French Cuves, or perhaps in the huge Barrel Room!
- No matter what it is you like about the wine making process you will experience it on this tour… even if you just like the wine itself.
- You will also visit a boutique Hawkes Bay Winery that produced wine from both their South Island and North Island vineyards.
- Learn about the ‘Gimblett Gravels’
- Finally you will visit a local Ale House showcasing many extremely popular New Zealand beers and a cider. This is set in the seaside suburb of Ahuriri adjacent to the inner harbour. Here you can enjoy 3 full glasses of your choice from the range of ales, cider and porter.
*Price includes local pickup, all tastings and entrance fees on the day and 3 drinks per person at the Ale House.
Napier Wine, Beer & Cider Tour (4.5 – 5 hours)
- Visit 2 world class local wineries, an ale house and a Cider Taproom.
- You will travel through a portion of the countryside of vineyards and horticulture to Hawkes Bay’s newest Cider Taproom, where you will choose ciders by the glass from their selection.
- Visit Mission Estate Winery, New Zealand’s oldest winery.
- Explore New Zealand’s only Winery Museum, set inside old wine fermentation tanks, discover the ‘Cuve’ Room, study the life like wax figures and learn the exciting and unique history surrounding this winery.
- Have your photo taken as you explore this fantastic portion of your tour, maybe beside imported French Cuves, or perhaps in the huge Barrel Room!
- You will certainly enjoy walking through a working winery and learning about the wine making process, with the experience of seeing items that were used in the past wine industry, and items that are over 3,000 years old.
- Learn about the ‘Gimblett Gravels.’
- Finally you will visit a local Ale House show casing many extremely popular New Zealand beers and a cider. This is set in the seaside suburb of Ahuriri adjacent to the inner harbour. Here you can enjoy 3 full glasses of your choice from the range of ales, cider and porter.
*Price includes local pickup, all tastings and entrance fees on the day, 3 drinks per person at the Ale House and 2 glasses per person at the Taproom.
Private Group Tours
Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours specialise in small to large private group tours. Please enquire for Napier Sightseeing Tours, Napier Wine Tours or Napier Wine and Brewery Tours for 2 – 40 + people.
Shore Excursion Tours
If you are visiting Napier on a cruise ship, Shore Excursion Tours are available which match your cruise schedule and fit as much into your shore time as possible. Please enquire for more details.
Daily departures for all tours, subject to availability.
- Napier Whirlwind Tour departs at 9.00 am and 12.00 pm
- Napier Scenic Tour departs at 12.00 pm
- Hawkes Bay Scenic Tour departs at 9.00 am or 10.00 am, as preferred
Wine and Sightseeing
- Napier Sightseeing and Wine Tour departs at 9.00 am and 12.00 pm
- Behind the Scenes Sensory Wine and Best of Napier Highlights Tour departs 10.00 am
- Napier’s Ultimate Wine Experience Tour departs at 10.00 am
- Napier’s Wine Experience Tour departs at 12.00 pm
- Napier’s Wine and Brewery Tour departs at 12.00 pm
- Napier’s Wine, Beer & Cider Tour departs at 12.00 pm
- Free pick up from your Napier Accommodation or the Napier Visitor Centre
- Minimum 2 persons
- Bookings essential
- As the wineries, Ale House, and Cider Room are third party visits, some may be substituted on the day if the regular winery or Ale House is unavailable.
Napier, New Zealand.
Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours offer free pick up from Napier Accommodation or the Napier Visitor Centre.