Adrift Guided Outdoor Adventures Tongariro
Adrift Guided Outdoor Adventures Tongariro
The Tongariro National Park has Dual World Heritage status and the Tongariro Northern Circuit is part of the Department of Conservation ‘Great Walks’ network.
The three active andesitic volcanoes, Mt Tongariro (1967 m), Mt Ngauruhoe (2291 m) and Mt Ruapehu (2797 m), are majestic and dominate the National Park. Intense volcanic activity and retreating glaciers from the ice age, have all left amazing textures, colours and landscapes with the many stories to tell.
Join Adrift Guided Outdoor Adventures and their experienced and personable guides who will provide you with a safe, enjoyable and memorable adventure of the Tongariro area. Come and enjoy beautiful New Zealand at its best!
One Day Tongariro Alpine Crossing Guided Walk
This walk has you on the top of Red Crater watching the peaceful sun rise in unique lighting.
- Starting at Mangatepopo Valley, the first 2 hours is a gentle gradient to Soda Springs.
- The track leads up to the Mt Tongariro & Mt Ngauruhoe saddle and it is steep.
- Arrive at the South Crater (1650 m). Take a break and plenty of photos. Then traverse up the side of Tongariro to the famous Red Crater summit (1882 m). Approx 1 hour.
- Descend to the Emerald Lakes for lunch, refreshments and a well-earned break.
- From here divert up and over Mt Tongariro to its summit (1967 m).
- It’s all downhill from here, back home with sunset views of Mt Taranaki. EASY!
- During winter, crampons and ice axes are required. Winter trips have the luxury of few other walkers. No outdoor experience with average fitness required. Winter (1 June – 31 October) & Summer (1 November – 30 June).
Sunrise Tongariro Alpine Crossing Guided Walk
- With the Milky Way at your fingertips and shooting stars screaming in the clarity that only the pre-dawn can achieve, come and see the sunrise at the Red Crater Summit & enjoy breakfast alfresco.
- The route is similar to the daytime route but with one obvious exception….NO CROWDS!
- Adrift supplies headlamps, hats, gloves, warm tops, jackets and trousers and guide to make sure everyone is safe healthy on-track and having a great time. Winter & Summer.
Sunset Tongariro Guided Walk
- This fantastic evening option is ideally suited for those who would like to experience the volcanic terrain but are not keen on the more strenuous full day walk
- This 2 hour sunset walk is the perfect option to enjoy the stunning scenery
- The walk is an easy grade track on Mt Ruapehu along the ’round the mountain track,’ sit and relax with a glass of wine and watch as the sunsets over Mt Taranaki. Winter & Summer.
Ruapehu Crater Lake Guided Walk
- Mt Ruapehu is the largest of the three volcanoes. The lake changes colour from an amazing deep green to pale blue to solid dark grey depending on the craters temperature.
- Mt Ruapehu has eight small glaciers on its high flanks and they are the only glaciers in the North Island. Ruapehu has three ski-fields, and usually a scenic chair-lift ride starts the walk off into the cool crisp air. The Ruapehu Crater Lake is not a poled or marked track, guides are recommended.
3-day Northern Circuit Guided Walk
The Northern Circuit is a 3-day tramp starting on Mt Ruapehu and encircles Mt Ngauruhoe. The circuit can be started from different points. The Tongariro Alpine Crossing track, explosion craters, lava flows, Tama Lakes, Taranaki Falls and Rangipo and Otarere deserts, are explored on this trek. Example Route:
- Day 1: Start at Whakapapa Village and head for the Tama Saddle and then onto the Waihohonu Hut (6 hours approx). En-route is the Tama Lakes and Taranaki Falls. Camping or hut stay depending on availability.
- Day 2: Waihohonu Hut to the Oturere Hut. Approximately 3-4 hours on the eastern flanks of Tongariro. This is a relatively easy day. Rest and enjoy the leisurely pace. Camping or hut stay depending on availability.
- Day 3: Otarere Hut up to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and North to Ketetahi. This is a 6-7 hour day climbing up to the Red Crater on the Tongariro Crossing and then descending to Mangatepopo, following the traditional Tongariro Alpine Crossing route. This leg covers the famous scenery spots of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing including Red Crater and the Emerald and Blue Lakes. Camping or hut stay depending on availability.
Includes: guide(s) full catering, return transport for National Park Village & Whakapapa Village, cooking & camping equipment (excludes sleeping bags), and Department of Conservation Hut passes. Additional porters can be arranged so that you carry a day-pack POA.
Departures & Duration
- One Day Tongariro Alpine Crossing: Pick-up 7 am, finish 3 – 4 pm
- Sunrise Tongariro Alpine Crossing: Pick-up 1.30 am – 3 am (dependant on time of year), summit 5 am – 7.30 am, finish 9 am – 12 pm
- Sunset Tongariro Guided Walk: Pick-up 7 pm (Summer) & 4.30pm (Winter), finish 9 pm (Summer) & 6.30 pm (Winter)
- Ruapehu Crater Lake Walk: Pick-up 8.30 am, finish 4 – 5 pm
3-day Northern Circuit: Pick-up 8.30 am on day 1, returning day 3 at 4 pm
Intersection of Highways 4 and 47 National Park Village just behind the GAS station.