Adrift Tongariro Guided Walks & Outdoor Adventures
The Tongariro National Park has Dual World Heritage status and the Tongariro Northern Circuit is part of the Department of Conservation ‘Great Walks’ network. Adrift Tongariro helps visitors discover the highlights of this otherworldly volcanic national park.
The three active andesitic volcanoes, Mt Tongariro (1967 m), Mt Ngauruhoe (2291 m) and Mt Ruapehu (2797 m), are majestic and dominate the National Park. Intense volcanic activity and retreating glaciers from the ice age, have all left amazing textures, colours and landscapes with the many stories to tell.
Join Adrift Tongariro and their experienced and personable guides who will provide you with a safe, enjoyable and memorable adventure of the Tongariro area. Come and enjoy beautiful New Zealand at its best!
Adrift Tongariro Activity Options
One Day Tongariro Alpine Crossing Guided Walk
This walk has you on the top of Red Crater watching the peaceful sun rise in unique lighting.
- Starting at Mangatepopo Valley, the first 2 hours is a gentle gradient to Soda Springs.
- The track leads up to the Mt Tongariro & Mt Ngauruhoe saddle and it is steep.
- Arrive at the South Crater (1650 m). Take a break and plenty of photos. Then traverse up the side of Tongariro to the famous Red Crater summit (1882 m). Approx 1 hour.
- Descend to the Emerald Lakes for lunch, refreshments and a well-earned break.
- From here divert up and over Mt Tongariro to its summit (1967 m).
- It’s all downhill from here, back home with sunset views of Mt Taranaki. EASY!
- During winter, crampons and ice axes are required. Winter trips have the luxury of few other walkers. No outdoor experience with average fitness required. Winter (1 June – 31 October) & Summer (1 November – 30 June).
Half Day Volcanic Explorer
- When possible, you will start on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing track and head up to Soda Springs before returning to the start. At Soda Springs you are given the option to upgrade to the full day walk and join in with the full day guided party to complete the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
- If the Tongariro Alpine Crossing walk is not suitable on the day, there is a menu of smaller walks for you to enjoy. You will be shown all things relevant to Tongariro and New Zealand including recent and past eruptions, geology, flora and fauna discovery and settlement of NZ.
- These are the most popular Tongariro sites chosen from and include in the 4 hours: Lake Rotopounamu, Taranaki Falls, Silica Rapids, Soda Springs, Pukeonake, Whakapapanui River, Tawhai falls, Meads Wall.
Sunset Tongariro Guided Walk
- This fantastic evening option is ideally suited for those who would like to experience the volcanic terrain but are not keen on the more strenuous full day walk
- This 2 hour sunset walk is the perfect option to enjoy the stunning scenery
- The walk is an easy grade track on Mt Ruapehu along the ’round the mountain track,’ sit and relax with a glass of wine and watch as the sunsets over Mt Taranaki. Winter & Summer.
Ruapehu Crater Lake Guided Walk
- Mt Ruapehu is the largest of the three volcanoes. The lake changes colour from an amazing deep green to pale blue to solid dark grey depending on the craters temperature.
- Mt Ruapehu has eight small glaciers on its high flanks and they are the only glaciers in the North Island. Ruapehu has three ski-fields, and usually a scenic chair-lift ride starts the walk off into the cool crisp air. The Ruapehu Crater Lake is not a poled or marked track, guides are recommended.
3-day Northern Circuit Guided Walk
The Northern Circuit is a 3-day tramp starting on Mt Ruapehu and encircles Mt Ngauruhoe. The circuit can be started from different points. The Tongariro Alpine Crossing track, explosion craters, lava flows, Tama Lakes, Taranaki Falls and Rangipo and Otarere deserts, are explored on this trek. Example Route:
- Day 1: Start at Whakapapa Village and head for the Tama Saddle and then onto the Waihohonu Hut (6 hours approx). En-route is the Tama Lakes and Taranaki Falls. Camping or hut stay depending on availability.
- Day 2: Waihohonu Hut to the Oturere Hut. Approximately 3-4 hours on the eastern flanks of Tongariro. This is a relatively easy day. Rest and enjoy the leisurely pace. Camping or hut stay depending on availability.
- Day 3: Otarere Hut up to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and North to Ketetahi. This is a 6-7 hour day climbing up to the Red Crater on the Tongariro Crossing and then descending to Mangatepopo, following the traditional Tongariro Alpine Crossing route. This leg covers the famous scenery spots of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing including Red Crater and the Emerald and Blue Lakes. Camping or hut stay depending on availability.
Includes: guide(s) full catering, return transport for National Park Village & Whakapapa Village, cooking & camping equipment (excludes sleeping bags), and Department of Conservation Hut passes. Additional porters can be arranged so that you carry a day-pack POA.
More Information on Adrift Tongariro Guided Walks
Departures & Duration
- One Day Tongariro Alpine Crossing: Pick-up 7 am, finish 3 – 4 pm
- Sunset Tongariro Guided Walk: Pick-up 7 pm (Summer) & 4.30 pm (Winter), finish 9 pm (Summer) & 6.30 pm (Winter)
- Ruapehu Crater Lake Walk: Pick-up 8.30 am, finish 4 – 5 pm
- 3-day Northern Circuit: Pick-up 8.30 am on day 1, returning day 3 at 4 pm
Intersection of Highways 4 and 47 National Park Village just behind the GAS station.
Book Guided Walks with Adrift Tongariro
You can book Tongariro guided walks separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
These popular New Zealand holiday packages include Adrift Tongariro guided walks:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Taupo and Tongariro activities.
* All pricing is in New Zealand Dollars
* Priced are based on a minimum of 2 people, except for the Winter Tongariro Alpine crossing option which is 5 people minimum
* Pick up is from accommodation in either National Park, Taupo, Turangi or Whakapapa Village, or meet at the Adrift Base.
* Surcharge applies for pick up from Taupo, Turangi or Ohakune
* Select item(s) above and submit with your other New Zealand accommodation, activity and transport needs. A travel consultant will contact you in less than 12 hours with availability and best available price. Upon your approval and payment you will then receive confirmation.