Go Orange Doubtful Sound Kayaking
Fiordland – a sea kayaker’s wilderness! Sea kayaking is the natural way to experience the essential spirit of this stunning, primeval, intense wilderness. See Doubtful Sound from a different perspective with a Doubtful Sound Kayaking trip.
We want to enhance your understanding of adventure and wilderness and to share with you how it can kindle your spirit and whisper to your soul and we want you to have as much fun as we do.
Kayak Doubtful Sound
- This is a Doubtful Sound trip not to be missed. Whether joining Go Orange in Te Anau or from Manapouri, this one-day sea kayaking adventure is a truly unique way to experience just a taste of what this remote wilderness has to offer. A full day out with an experienced guide and small group of kayakers, visitors will explore Deep Cove, Rolla Island + over to Olphert Cove and return.
- From Te Anau, this wilderness experience begins with a short transfer to Manapouri to board a boat for the 30 km cruise across Lake Manapouri. Travellers enjoy crossing the remote alpine route of Wilmot Pass by coach to Doubtful Sound.
- Travellers will paddle amidst lush rain forest and waterfalls and look up at the towering cliffs from water level, a truly amazing sight.
- Penguins, seals and dolphins are sometimes encountered and bird song breaks the stillness as you paddle along the shoreline. The day involves approximately three hours kayaking in this remote Fiordland wilderness.
*Departs October to April inclusive. Departs at 6.15 am from Te Anau, 7.15 am from Manapouri. Returns 4.00 pm to Te Anau and 3.30 pm to Manapouri.
Doubtful Sound Overnight Kayak
- From Te Anau, this wilderness experience begins with a short transfer to Manapouri to board a boat for the 30km cruise across Lake Manapouri. Travellers enjoy crossing the remote alpine route of Wilmot Pass by coach to Doubtful Sound.
- On arrival, all travellers change into paddling gear, pack their kayaks and are given a full safety briefing and instruction from their experienced guide. The group then spends five hours kayaking in Doubtful Sound alongside the massive glacial landscape, deeply faulted mountainsides and sometimes penguins, fur seals and dolphins. A lunch break is made on an uninhabited beach, surrounded by pristine native rainforest.
- On arrival at the camp site, tents are set up by travellers and as evening falls the group enjoys the company of fellow paddlers as they prepare their meal in the group shelter and enjoy the surrounding untouched wilderness.
- Day two: After breakfast travellers pack up camp, and kayak out of Hall Arm and then to Malaspina Reach and Elizabeth Island before returning early afternoon to Deep Cove, under sail if possible, for lunch. The final leg is the journey back across Wilmot Pass and Lake Manapouri.
*Departs between November and April inclusive. Departs at 6.15 am from Te Anau, 7.15 am from Manapouri. Returns 4.00 pm to Te Anau and 3.30 pm to Manapouri the next day. This is a self-catered overnight trip. Go Orange provides hot drinks. Travellers will need to bring enough food for two lunches, an evening meal and breakfast plus snacks when kayaking. (Go Orange provide gas cookers and cooking implements.)
- Upon booking, you will receive a detailed personal equipment list to assist you with your preparations. Please make sure that you receive that list with our reply to you confirming your booking.
- When you make your booking you will need to provide your weight and height (for gear sizing) and your accommodation in Te Anau or Manapouri. This is to arrange where you will meet the morning of departure and to give you the time of pick up.
- Min age 16 years.
* Note: Weather conditions and wildlife encounters determine the actual kayak route.
Go Orange, 21 Town Centre, Te Anau 9600, or Pearl Harbour, Manapouri. Pick up from all major Te Anau and Manapouri accommodations.
Book a Doubtful Sound Kayaking Tour with Go Orange
You can book Doubtful Sound kayak tours separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
Popular New Zealand holiday packages with a stay in Te Anau include:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Doubtful Sound activities.