Real Journeys Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise
Real Journeys Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruises
Located deep in the heart of a World Heritage Area, Doubtful Sound is an overwhelming place. You can feel the power of nature here – the remoteness, the wildness and the peace.
Known for its wilderness and wildlife, Doubtful Sound is the second largest of the 14 fiords in Fiordland National Park and it is three times longer and 10 times larger than Milford Sound.
Today, Doubtful Sound remains an unspoilt wilderness of many moods; one minute clear, blue and sun-drenched, the next mysterious and mist-cloaked.
Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise
- When you discover Doubtful Sound you will be struck by its silence – a silence broken only by birdsong, or maybe the rushing of a distant waterfall
- Your Doubtful Sound adventure begins as you cruise the crystal clear waters of Lake Manapouri – a stunning lake renowned for its numerous islands and deserted beaches
- Travel underground by coach to see the Manapouri Underground Power Station
- Then it’s over Wilmot Pass, on one of New Zealand’s remotest and prettiest sub-alpine roads, stopping along the way to experience some of Fiordland’s most dense rainforest and to view Doubtful Sound glistening far below
- On reaching Deep Cove, you will board the Patea Explorer a spacious catamaran, for a three hour cruise that takes in the most dramatic scenery of Doubtful Sound
- Your nature guides provide an engaging commentary and point out highlights
- Keep a look out for wildlife as bottlenose dolphins frequently swim alongside our vessel, fur seals bask on the rocks around the fiord and rare penguins can at times be observed
Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise departing Manapouri
- November – April: 8.00 am & 10.00 am
- May – October: 9.45 am
- 26 December – 28 February: Additional sailing at 11.00 am
Coach-Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise-Coach departing Te Anau
- November – April: 7.00 am & 9.30 am
- May – October: 8.45 am
- 25 December – 28 February: Additional sailing at 10.00 am
- Lunch options available, must be pre ordered: Deluxe Picnic Lunch and Picnic Lunch
- Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise departing Manapouri: 8 hours
- Coach-Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise-Coach departing Te Anau: 9 hours 45 minutes
- Check in 20 minutes prior to departure time
- Suitable for all ages
- What to bring: Non-slip shoes/boots, waterproof jacket, warm sweater/fleece jacket, sunscreen/sunglasses, insect repellent and camera.
Wilderness Cruises depart from Real Journeys Visitor Centre, Manapouri, otherwise if taking the coach option, pick-ups are available from most in-town accommodation.