Pohatu Penguins Nature and Sea Kayak Tours
Pohatu Penguins Nature and Sea Kayak Tours
Pohatu Penguins offers unique nature and sea kayak tours from Akaroa, New Zealand. The tour options all visit Pohatu Marine Reserve in a small coastal bay nestled between dramatic volcanic headlands on Banks Peninsula. Pohatu is home to the largest Little Penguin colony on mainland New Zealand.
Francis and Shireen Helps have protected the Penguins on their property for more than three decades and have won recognition in a number of awards for penguin and habitat conservation.
Penguin Tour: Scenic 4WD to Pohatu
- Because of the sensitive wildlife habitat only guided groups are taken into the breeding colony to view the Penguins. On these tours you may also see one of the Yellow Eyed Penguins who frequent the bay. The best time for penguin viewing is the breeding season between end of August and January.
- Includes pick-up from Akaroa, spectacular Scenic 4WD safari to Pohatu with photo stop opportunities, penguin viewing and guided walk through the penguin colony (2.5 – 3 hours)
Sea Kayaking Tour: 4WD Pohatu Sea Kayaking Safari Package
- The outer coast of Pohatu Marine Reserve is spectacular with towering sea cliffs sculpted through the ages by the sea into rock stacks, reefs, and deep sea caves. Flea Bay Island and the impressive island arch make an added exciting attraction.
- Seals can almost always be seen lounging on the rocks, plus during breeding or molting season penguins are often found sitting around rock crevices and often Hectors Dolphins swim along with the kayaks.
- Includes pick-up from Akaroa, spectacular Scenic 4WD safari to Pohatu with photo stop opportunities, experience is not necessary.
Scenic Nature Tour: 4WD Scenic Nature Tour
- This is a scenic 4WD adventure over one of the highest passes on Banks Peninsula. It enables you to experience the spectacular and dramatic scenery from crater rim of ancient Akaroa Volcano to volcanic coastal cliffs and Akaroa Head Reserve & Lighthouse.
- Includes a scenic drive to Pohatu Marine Reserve with photo stops en route, penguin monitoring during penguin breeding season, a walk through the beautiful Tutakahikura Scenic Bush Reserve, opportunity to view the Banks Peninsula Tree Weta; great variety of native birds, photo stop at crater rim, visit a working sheep farm, scenic drive to Akaroa head reserve and lighthouse, plus enjoy tea, coffee and a muffin.
The package enables you to enjoy all activities Pohatu has to offer with time to explore or relax.
- Penguin Tour, Sea Kayaking Tour (weather permitting $10 pp charge), Scenic Nature Tour, plus… 2.5 hour valley bush walk can be included along the world famous Banks Peninsula Track past beautiful waterfalls cascading over ancient lava flows to the sea.
- One nights stay on a working sheep station and in the middle of the penguin colony in cosy accommodation within meters from the safe swimming beach.
- Off road parking for your vehicle while you are enjoying your stay.
- Leaves Akaroa Information Centre at 12.30 pm and returns in the afternoon the next day.
- Can be extended to two nights for just NZ$90.00
- Penguin Tours 5.30 or 6.30 pm (depending on season)
- Sea Kayaking Tours 8.00 an or 12.00 pm
- Scenic Nature Tours 12.00 pm
- Pohatu Package 12.30 pm
- Things to bring on the penguin and nature tours: Good walking shoes or boots with good grip soles that can cope with a bit of mud in wet conditions. Please note the track can be demanding for some and can be slippery in wet conditions in the heavy penguin traffic areas visited. Pohatu Penguins do their best to have a well formed track in good condition as far as the viewing hides that most people can cope with and some footwear can be provided for those who have inadequate footwear.
- Bring warm clothing (some additional camouflage clothing will be provided).
- Please note: In summer it is advisable to either eat before you come on an evening tour or bring some food with you as often restaurants will be closed on your return to Akaroa.
- Photography welcomed but strictly no use of flash. All flashes will be taped.
- Things to bring kayaking: Bring a change of clothing as sometimes clothing can get quite damp despite the use of the quality provided spray jackets and decks. Bring some food and a drink.
Akaroa, New Zealand.