Heliworks Queenstown Helicopter Tours – Fiordland & LOTR
Heliworks offer spectacular Queenstown helicopter tours through the Wakatipu and Fiordland areas.
With exclusive landing rights at a number of locations, join Heliworks on the trip of a lifetime!
Heliworks Helicopters was contracted exclusively by Peter Jackson for aerial filming and transportation of cast to Lord of the Rings film locations. Heliwork’s helicopter pilots have an intimate knowledge of the area and can transport you into Middle Earth.
Heliworks Queenstown Helicopter Tour Activity Options
Fiordland Helicopter Tours
Milford Sound Highlights (1.5 hours)
- No trip to New Zealand is complete without a scenic flight to Milford Sound. Going by helicopter means you can see so much more of the hidden valleys, such as the Tutoko or Harrison, with their slopes covered in rainforest, along the way.
- This heli experience will take you past the head of Lake Wakatipu over the Greenstone and Caples valleys to the rich blue waters of Lake Erskine. Continue on to the glacial beauty of Milford Sound, including a spectacular view of Mitre Peak, before heading back through the mountains to Queenstown.
Fiordland’s Finest (2 1/4 hours)
- Fiordland is spectacular and this trip will show you the best of it, from the highest peak, Mt Tutoko, to the coastal fiords, from glaciers to waterfalls. Stand on the mountain tops, touch the blue ice of a glacier and chase the waves on an isolated West Coast beach.
- You will also visit the world-famous Milford Sound, and see the sights of the Milford area, including the second highest waterfall in the Southern Hemisphere, the Sutherland Falls, and the Mackinnon Pass.
Milford Fly – Cruise – Fly (4 – 4 1/2 hours)
- Join Heliworks for the trip of a lifetime to Milford Sound! Fly past rainforest covered valleys and spectacular alpine lakes. Enjoy an alpine landing before continuing on to Milford Sound itself to join Southern Discoveries on their Encounter Nature Cruise.
- See this breath-taking spot from the water, cruise past the iconic Mitre Peak and enjoy the breath taking￼￼￼￼￼￼￼ views. Following your cruise depart Milford Sound for the beautiful Earnslaw Burn.
- Landing on the valley floor with the blue ice of the hanging glacier above you and waterfalls cascading down the rock face this exclusive location really is magnificent. The final leg of your trip will take you over the Richardson Mountain range.
Doubtful Sound Discovery (2 3/4 hours)
- Remote and spectacular! Your flight will take you across Lake Wakatipu before crossing the Mavora Lakes to Lake Te Anau. ￼￼￼ World Heritage Fiordland National Park now unfolds in front of you as you soar over Doubtful Sound itself. Magnificent alpine peaks tower above the pristine waters of this exceptional corner of New Zealand. Dolphins and seals reside along the shoreline and numerous birds rise above from wood pigeons and hawks to the indigenous keas and kakas.
- Circle into the hidden valley of Campbell’s Kingdom, with a distinctly prehistoric appearance and complete with lake and waterfall – a really spectacular place! Return to Heliworks over the mountains of south west Fiordland with countless alpine lakes, and views of Lake Manapouri – the lake of many islands.
- Your final stop is a landing on Cecil Peak Ledge for a bird’s eye view of Queenstown and the Wakatipu basin.
Doubtful & Milford Sounds (3.5 hours)
- If you really want to see Fiordland in all its beauty then this is the flight for you – the diversity of this special landscape will astound! Lift from Heliworks past the iconic Remarkables mountain range and across Lake Wakatipu to the south. After crossing the Mavora Lakes the peaks of Southern Fiordland come into view across Lake Te Anau – the largest lake in the South Island. World Heritage Fiordland National Park now unfolds in front of you; with lush rainforest and towering mountains plummeting into the waters of Doubtful Sound itself.
- Fly over the Sound before turning into the hidden valley of Campbell’s Kingdom, almost prehistoric in its landscape complete with lake and waterfall! Now fly north across the remote peaks and valleys towards Milford Sound.
- See Lake Quill and the Sutherland Falls – New Zealand’s second highest waterfall and certainly one of the most impressive – and the rugged West Coast before Milford Sound takes you inland. See lady Bowen Falls and Stirling Falls before climbing to Fiordland’s highest peak Mt Tutoko.
- Cross the Hollyford valley before descending into one of our favourite and also exclusive landing sites – the Earnslaw Burn with its blue ice and cascading waterfalls.
Lord of the Rings Queenstown Helicopter Tours
Flight to the Ford (45 minutes)
- A fantastic introduction to Middle Earth. Fly towards the steep ridges of the Misty Mountains. First stop is the Dimrill Dale, lying between two great arms of the mountains. This valley marks the western door of the great Gates of Khazad-dum (Moria) and Mirrormere, source of the River Silverlode.
- Continue across Lake Wakatipu (Nen Hithoel) to fly over Amon Hen, scene of the Breaking of the Fellowship. Excellent views can be obtained of the forest where Lurtz fought his final battle against Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. See the site of the Ilithien camp where Frodo and Sam hid from the battle and first saw the Oliphants.
- Heading now towards the River Bruinen, see the Ford, scene of the desperate encounter between Arwen and the Black Riders. Homeward bound, to your left you will see glimpses of the River Anduin (location of the Gates of Argonath) before landing back at Queenstown Airport.
The Great Forests (1 1/4 hours)
- Climb the steep slopes of the Misty Mountains to the Dimrill Dale and the great Gates of Khazad-dum. Mirrormere, source of the River Silverlode also lies below and after a pause for photographs cross Lake Wakatipu (Nen Hithoel) towards Amon Hen, scene of the Breaking of the Fellowship.
- Excellent views can be obtained of the forest where Lurtz fought his final battle against Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli. See the site of the Ilithien camp where Frodo and Sam hid from the battle and first saw the Oliphants.
- Continue Westward for a landing atop Mt Alfred (Dol Baran) where the vista of Nan Curunir (scene of Isengard and the Tower of Orthanc) unfolds. The great forest beckons, and as you fly over the outskirts of Lothlorien, the massive peaks of the Misty Mountains tower overhead.
- Travel east towards the old gold mining area of Skippers before flying over the River Bruinen, scene of the desperate encounter between Arwen and the Black Riders. Homeward bound, see glimpses of the River Anduin.
Best of the Lord Of The Rings Locations (3.5 hours)
- The ultimate New Zealand Lord of the Rings tour for Lord of the Rings fans – a flight through J.R.R. Tolkien’s imagination and Peter Jackson’s movie-making awaits you.
- This 3.5-hour trip goes into Isengard, across the Misty Mountains and to the Ford of Bruinen. The sights of the Wakatipu and Fiordland areas which so enthralled millions of movie-goers unfold in front of you, and the flight also includes the beauty of the 680m-high Sutherland Falls and the majesty of Milford Sound.
- This experience includes several landings depending on weather conditions.
Other Information on Heliworks Queenstown
- Largest and newest fleet of helicopters in the Queenstown area
- Exclusive landing areas such as Earnslaw Burn, Mt Alfred and Mt Nicholas Station
- Highly experienced pilots (between 3,000 and 20,000 flying hours)
- We focus on meeting the needs of our clients and use the best machinery and pilots
- Heliworks is New Zealand’s premier aerial filming company with credits such as Lord of the Rings, Narnia, King Kong and many more
Heliworks Queenstown Helicopters are located at the Queenstown International Airport, New Zealand. Follow the signs to the Airport. Then follow the sign to the Shopping Centre. Heliworks is located at the end of Smith Tex Lane (opposite New World Supermarket). Watch out for the Heliworks Sign.
Book Heliworks Queenstown Helicopter Tours
You can book Queenstown helicopter tours separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
These popular holiday packages include Queenstown helicopter tours:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your Queenstown activities.