Welcome to four iconic Christchurch attractions: Christchurch Gondola, Christchurch Tramway, Punting on the Avon, Botanic Gardens Tour and the Grand Tour.
Christchurch Attractions Activity Options
- Soar suspended above the suburbs as the birds fly beneath your cabin. The Christchurch Gondola whisks you nearly a kilometre to the Crater Rim. The Port Hills, a collapsed crater rim of an extinct volcano which exploded six million years ago. Experience the Time Tunnel, a dramatic reconstruction of the history of the Port Hills and Christchurch. Watch subterranean forces unleash molten magma to rip rocks apart. See life-size dioramas of the early voyagers, Polynesian and then European, making landfall after months of travel. Revive your spirits with a snack at the new Red Rock Cafe, and browse what is on offer in the shop. Hop back on the Gondola for the 360° views to get back to the base station.
- Enjoy a journey in style through the changing face of Christchurch’s city centre on board the beautifully restored heritage Trams. One of Christchurch’s leading attractions, the Tram is a unique experience combining history and sightseeing. Your friendly and knowledgeable drivers will inform you about the city, its landmarks and local sights as well as where to find the best coffee. Your day-long ticket allows you to hop on and off the Tram as much as you please! The journey takes you to the appropriate stops for Punting on the Avon, and the Caterpillar Tour of the Christchurch Botanic Gardens. The Art Gallery, meandering Avon River, Gothic style Arts Centre and the Canterbury Museum are just some of sights to be seen from the comfort of your Tram, or accessed from any of the seven stops en route.
Punting on the Avon River
- Relax among the velvet cushions as your punter takes you down the river for 30 minutes on one of two routes – City or Park. Summer or winter, glide along the peaceful Avon River in Christchurch, wrapped in luxury, as a skilled punter propels you through a romantic wonderland. In spring and summer the sunbeams sparkle and ducklings dive; in autumn and winter the river provides magical photographs.
Botanic Gardens Tours
- Explore on the world’s most historic Botanic Gardens on the Caterpillar Tour. Hop on and off the Caterpillar at any time. Knowledgable guides will show you around the Gardens and tell you all you need to know about the trees, flowers and herbs within the Gardens.
*Attractions do not have to be visited on the same day, buy your pass & enjoy each experience at your leisure. Your tram pass is valid for two days.
Christchurch Attractions Combo Passes
- Combine any two activities – including the Gondola, Tram, Punting on the Avon and Botanic Gardens Tour, to both save money and experience the best of what Christchurch has to offer!
- Combine any three activities – including the Gondola, Tram, Punting on the Avon and Botanic Gardens Tour, to both save money and experience the best of what Christchurch has to offer!
The Christchurch Pass
- Experience Christchurch’s iconic attractions – the Christchurch Tramway, Christchurch Gondola, Botanic Gardens Tour and Punting on the Avon – at affordable prices.
Christchurch Tram Restaurant
- Being the only Restaurant Tram in New Zealand means this is a unique way to view the inner city of Christchurch while enjoying a delicious evening dinner. Experience the luxury of the 36 seater air-conditioned, colonial style dining tram and be treated to the finest service, cuisine and beverages New Zealand has to offer. Incorporate fabulous dining with a sightseeing tour showcasing Christchurch’s inner city vibrancy and heritage – truly a mix of the old and the new. The Christchurch Tramway Restaurant dinner tour is a unique activity not to be missed.
Caterpillar Botanic Gardens Tour
- Glide over smooth pathways in the electric-powered Caterpillar shuttle, a cute vehicle looking like its namesake, the caterpillar. You can hop on or off the Caterpillar at any time. Take two days, if you like, to explore one of the world’s most historic Botanic Gardens.
- The Caterpillar Tour guides know their stuff. Which trees are best for making bows and arrows? Can corks be made from trees? Do bananas grow in Christchurch?
- Compare the sub-Antarctic daisies in another place, tough enough to survive wind and sleet. Appreciate the outdoor circular Rose Garden. Crush a leaf and smell each herb in the Blind Garden. Find New Zealand’s only World Peace Bell.
See all Christchurch has to offer! Cruise in comfort aboard our luxury coach. Fully guided by your knowledgeable host, the Grand Tour shows off the best things to do in Christchurch in the most comfortable and convenient way.
- a romantic Punt ride on the Avon River in a classic pleasure craft
- a tour of Christchurch’s famous Botanic Gardens
- panoramic views from the Christchurch Gondola
- time to see around the quirky, independent seaside township of Sumner
- a hop-on hop-off ticket to see the central city from the newly re-opened heritage Tram
This is a fully-guided day trip from 10.00 am to approximately 3.00 pm. Complimentary accommodation pick ups from 9.00am from select Christchurch accommodation. Transport and all attractions are included in your ticket price.
Lunch is not included, but you have plenty of time to enjoy lunch at your leisure.
Other Information on Christchurch Attractions
- Bookings Essential!
- Gondola Hours: 10 am – 7 pm (26 December – 6 April), 10 am – 5 pm (7 April – 24 December)
- Tram Hours: 9 am – 6 pm (September – March), 10 am – 5 pm (April – August)
- Punting Hours: 9 am – 6 pm (1 October – 30 April), 10 am – 4 pm (1 May– 30 September)
- Botanic Garden Tour Hours: 10 am – 3.30 pm (1 October – 31 March), 11 am – 3 pm (1 April – 30 September)
Christchurch Attractions Location
Gondola: 10 Bridle Path Rd, Heathcote Valley Christchurch
Tram: Cathedral Junction, Christchurch
Punting on the Avon:
- Park Landing Site: Antigua Boat Sheds, 2 Cambridge Terrace
- Christchurch City Landing Site: Worcester Bridge, Worcester St
Book Christchurch Attractions
You can book Christchurch activities separately or as part of one of our New Zealand holiday packages. We bundle activities, accommodation, and transportation together for convenient, affordable New Zealand holidays.
Popular New Zealand holiday packages with a stay in Christchurch include:
Contact New Zealand Travel Organiser today to plan your stay in Christchurch.
* All pricing is in New Zealand Dollars
* Children: 5-15 years, under 5 years are free (except on the Grand Tour under 5 years NZ$20 PP)
* Family: 2 Adults and up to 3 Children
* Select item(s) above and submit with your other New Zealand accommodation, activity and transport needs. A travel consultant will contact you in less than 12 hours with availability and best available price. Upon your approval and payment you will then receive confirmation.