Mackenzie Alpine Horse Trekking
Mackenzie Alpine Horse Trekking Lake Tekapo
The Mackenzie Country contains some of New Zealand’s most picturesque and natural scenery – teal blue lake water and chiselled mountains are amongst the Mackenzie’s jewels.
Join Mackenzie Alpine Horse Trekking by sharing the natural beauty in one of the most natural forms of transport available, in a saddle.
Enjoy a horse trek through spectacular scenery, with experienced guides, all levels of riders welcome, treks from half an hour to overnight.
Half Hour Horse Trek
- An easy ride through a pine forest
- This is suited for nervous beginners and children
Lake View Horse Trek (1 Hour)
- A gentle trek through larch and pine forest to the leading south ridge of Mt John
- Fantastic views of Lake Tekapo and surrounding station country
- A gentle wander down hill to the lake, followed by a walk through silver birch & pine forest
Mountain Top Horse Trek (2 Hour)
- A stunning ride around the base of Mount John with a breathtaking view of the lake
- From the top of the North end of the mountain, breathtaking views of the Alps and the huge expanse of the Mackenzie Country
Glacier Country Horse Trek (3.5 Hour)
- Depending on the weather, this is a ride that takes in the other rides features, but you get the chance to travel on horseback to Lake Alexandrina on the western side of the lake
- You will appreciate how harsh this land must have been to the early settlers whilst traveling back across this part of The Mackenzie Basin
- An absolute must for camera enthusiasts
- Minimum 2 persons
Full Day Horse Trek
- All of the above plus travel further towards the Southern Alps and experience a working high country sheep station
- Minimum 2 persons
- Transport available from Lake Tekapo accommodation
- Bookings recommended
- Helmets are provided and are compulsory to wear
- Bring your camera the scenery is amazing
What should I wear?
- Please wear long pants and closed in shoes e.g. sand shoes – sport-shoes – boots (with no heel etc).
I have never ridden before, does this matter?
- Our horses are very quiet so you will be perfectly safe. We provide a demonstration before you get on your horse. We take care to match the horse with your ability.
Godley Peaks Road, Lake Tekapo, New Zealand.