Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Franz Josef Glacier Guides
The most incredible glacier experience! The magnificent Franz Josef Glacier is widely regarded as the gem of New Zealand’s West Coast Glaciers.
Franz Josef Glacier Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, offering a range of glacier hiking tours to suit all levels of fitness and ability. The ultimate NZ adventure tour!
Glacier Valley Walk
- Franz Josef Glacier at its most dynamic! Your Glacier Valley Walk will take you up alongside the mighty Waiho River bed following the glaciers path of retreat in this remarkable landscape.
- Here you will learn about the glacier’s history, see what is left behind by this majestic giant, and learn the legend of Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere.
- Near the terminal face, you will cross over the public barriers and after a brief climb you will be rewarded with spectacular views of the rapidly changing terminal face of the glacier.
- Duration: 3 hours. Departures: Daily 10.15 am & 2.15 pm
- Minimum Age: 6 years
- After an exciting scenic flight, you land high up on the glacier and undertake a two hour guided hike amongst some of the most pristine glacier scenery available.
- You’ll soon be making your way through a wonderland of towering pinnacles and blue ice.
Enjoy panoramic views of the surrounding mountains with plenty of photo opportunities.
- This will almost certainly be your most memorable experience whilst in New Zealand.
- Includes entry to Glacier Hot Pools to help relax after a great day on the ice
- Duration: 3 hours. Departures: Daily 9.15 am, 11.45 am & 2.15 pm
- Minimum Age: 8 years
Heli Ice Climbing
- Provided with expert tuition and all technical equipment, this is a great way to introduce you to the exhilarating sport of ice- climbing.
- On the glacier you will learn all the aspects of ice-climbing using the front points of crampons and two technical ice axes.
- Your guide will tailor the day to challenge novices and experts alike and with no experience necessary you will soon be scaling towering walls of ice.
- The Franz Josef Glacier is the most spectacular commercially guided glacier in New Zealand, the more dramatic terrain, offering higher, steeper walls of ice on which to challenge yourself.
- Duration: 5 hours. Departures: Daily 7.45 am
- Guide to Client Ratio: 1-4. Minimum Age: 14 years
Personalised to suit itineraries, interests and abilities. Enquire about price and availability.
- All clients are equipped with the very best in quality equipment: Gortex rain jackets, waterproof over trousers, hat and gloves, socks and glacier boots, simply making sure you are as dry and warm as possible.
- What you need to bring: 2-4 warm upper body layers, quick drying trousers or shorts (no jeans), food and drink for the day, sunglasses, sunscreen and camera.
Franz Josef Glacier Guides’ trips are longer in duration than others offered, with considerably more time on the ice, making them exceptional value for money.
Franz Josef Glacier Guides Building, State Highway 6, Main Road, Franz Josef, New Zealand.