Fox Glacier Guiding
Fox Glacier Guiding
Enjoy a breathtaking guided walk into the world famous Fox Glacier with New Zealand’s most experienced glacier guiding company.
Fox Glacier is New Zealand’s largest commercially guided glacier, situated on the West Coast of the South Island and is part of the Westland National Park, a World Heritage Area.
Fox Glacier Guiding’s friendly and professional guides will take you on a trip of a life time. They will educate you, entertain you and guide you into the stunning Fox Glacier.
Fox Glacier Guiding offer a full range of hiking tours and ice adventures to suit all fitness levels.
Flying Fox – Fox Glacier Heli Hike
- Combine the thrill of 2 helicopter flights, with the opportunity to explore a remote and pristine part of the glacier on foot, with your knowledgeable guide
- Glacial forces are greatest in this area and often create spectacular ice caves, arches and tunnels, brilliantly blue in colour
- Duration: 4 hours, minimum age 9 years
- Reporting Time: 8.50 am and 11.50 am (all year), 2.50 pm (on demand in summer)
Fox Trail – Fox Glacier Terminal Face Walk
- A leisurely and informative walk along the Fox River valley floor
- Although you will not walk on the glacier your guide will take you to the resting place of the mighty river of ice, after it has traveled 13 kms from the base of the Southern Alps
- You will have the opportunity to learn the role of the Fox Glacier in shaping its environment
- Duration 2 hours
- Reporting Time: 9.10 am (All year round), 4.50 pm (summer), 2.20 pm (winter)
- THE HOBNAIL SHOP & CAFE, situated in the Fox Glacier Guiding base building, located on State Highway 6 in Fox Glacier township. The shop offers an excellent selection of interesting items to choose from and the cafe is licensed and serves delicious food.
- The buses used to transport customers to Fox Glacier are a nice link to the past. Some are preserved and restored Bedfords, and are a reminder of the original Newman’s coaches which took visitors to the glacier in 1922.
- To assure your safety, all guides are trained through the internationally recognised New Zealand Mountain Guides Association. Fox Glacier Guiding pride themselves in offering exceptional customer service, the highest level of safety management and the best value for money trips.
- All trips depart from the Fox Glacier Guiding base on State Highway 6 in Fox Glacier.
- Fox Glacier is there all year round as snow falls up the top of the glacier in an area known as the Neve all year round and it is this snow that feeds the river of ice, otherwise known as the glacier.
What is the difference between Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier?
- Fox Glacier township is the more ‘laid back’ of the twin Glacier Country townships
- Fox Glacier is approximately 3 km longer than Franz Josef
- Fox Glacier offers people a more remote experience as it is the less crowded glacier
- If cloud allows helihikers enjoy views of Mt Cook & Mt Tasman not seen on Franz Josef
- A major difference is the way in which the ice is accessed, both glaciers take about one hour to walk up onto – Fox Glacier access is along the river valley floor and then through a secret rainforest track – Franz Josef, the walk is straight along the river valley floor and then up the terminal face
What should we wear and bring on our glacier trip?
- 3 or 4 upper layers such as a light t-shirt (or similar) next to the skin, then a fleecy or heavy wool garment, topped off with a wind-breaker is ideal
- Do not wear jeans as they become very heavy, cold and uncomfortable to wear when wet
- Track pants or long cotton pants are best and shorts are suitable during summer months
- Fox Glacier Guides supply the footwear, which includes socks, boots and crampons, woolen mittens and hats and waterproof raincoat and over trousers for all trips
- Sunglasses and sun protection
- A day pack, a drink and snacks or lunch
State Highway 6, Fox Glacier, New Zealand.